skip to main content

Below is a timeline of the Club's history, kindly collated by Stephen Airey and David Youldon:

1931 Blackwell Golf Course officially opened on 18 April, as a nine-hole pitch & putt course
1932 Pitch & putt course extended to 12 holes
1938 Blackwell Golf Social Club formed
1945 Nine-hole golf course opened
1960 Club became affiliated to the English Golf Union, which heralded a decade of unprecedented development. The Club's first Captain was Mr Denis Hopley
1961 First Club Championship, the winner being Ian Davie, now a Life Member of the Club. The Club's first Ladies' Captain was Mrs Lil Rhind
1967 Name changed to Blackwell (Darlington) Golf Club
1970 Name changed to Blackwell Grange Golf Club
1971 Eighteen-hole course opened on 3 May
1972 The Club received three visits, by The Rt. Hon. Viscount William Whitelaw, Peter Alliss and Bernard Gallacher, OBE.
1973 Club accepted into Teesside and District Union of Golf Clubs
1974 First meeting of Past Captains and first Gentlemen's Invitation Day
1976 Stressholme Golf Club opened
1999 'The Pre-Invitation Years 1693-1974' by Arnold Hird and David Youldon published (see below)
2013 Blackwell and Stressholme merged, with Blackwell moving from Briar Close to Snipe Lane on 1 July
2015 Clubhouse lounge refurbished, new locker rooms created, new professional's shop built and driving range refurbished. New facilities officially opened by Bernard Gallacher, an Honorary Member of the Club
2019 Remodelled holes 9, 11 and 13 opened, as well as a new swing studio and Junior Academy Course
2020 Remodelled holes 1 and 18 and short game practice area opened
2021 New practice putting green to be opened
2031 This will be the Club's centenary